Wine Tasting: Apothic Red

 


Name: Apothic Red

Variety: "winemakers blend" (zinfandel, merlot, syrah)

Region: California

Country: USA

Year: 2020

Price: $11


Winery Review: "Bold flavors of dark fruit and spice from the Zinfandel, complemented by the soft mouthfeel and black fruits from Merlot, layered with the soft blueberry notes of Syrah, and finally supported by the structure and dark fruits of the Cabernet. We used soft vanilla and mocha toned oak to enhance and support the wines elegant appeal."


Wine Folly: It notes Zinfandel's primarily flavors as smoky, exotic spice, with California grapes having a more blackberry flavor than sweet flavor like Italian Zinfandel does. Syrah is noted to have similar notes as zinfandel and merlot with more emphasis on fruity flavors.


My Review: It makes sense that Zinfandel is the primary grape used in this blend- I immediately smelled the smoky sweet flavor that wine folly noted is a characteristic of Zinfandel. The merlot/zinfandel combination is just that I am not really a fan of. The spice smoky flavors with the strong tannins is just not my style right now. I also think that is just a low quality wine. After having some nicer wine in the past- I can really taste the low quality aspects of this one. While it has flavor- I feel like it lacks the body that my mouth can feel with the other higher quality reds.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting: Loosen Bros--Rieslings

Wine Tasting: 19 Crimes The Banished

Tasting: Olney Winery Wild berry Blast