Wine Tasting: Wisdom Point Shiraz

 


Name: Wisdom Point

Variety: Shiraz

Region: Western Cape

Country: South Africa

Year: 2019

Price: $27


Winery Review: "savory earthy aromas due to the influence of "fynbos". The Afrikaans name for the surrounding natural belt of shrubland vegetation. Notes of black olive and pepper add distinct character to its mulberry and dark fruited depth and intrigue."


Wine Folly: Also known as Syrah, it is the most planted grape in Australia. In Australia, they even have 100 year old vines that make some of the most coveted Syrah in the world! Wine folly notes that this wine typically has notes of peppercorn and plum. While they don't have anything on South African made Shiraz's, I would reckon that this climate and terroir is similar to that seen in southern Australia.


My Review: This is a wine that I am trying at home so it is the most expensive bottle I have tried on my current list. At first smell, I was treated with fruity aromas that were not overly powerful or sweet. When it comes to taste, I was a big fan. To me, it reminds me of the Rioja I tried for my wine and cheese pairing. It isn't as strong or bold as the merlot, but a little bit lighter and easier on the tongue like Rioja. The tannins felt low, as I got almost no pucker/dry mouth feeling- which I liked. It is able to maintain a somewhat low bite while still having explosive flavors of blackberry. The winery notes that this also has a tinge of tobacco flavor- which I feel like I can taste on the aftertaste. I think the black pepper note is what is making the wine taste so bold--without having the tannins.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting: Loosen Bros--Rieslings